When I was training for my NPC competition, there were all kinds of healthy foods that were “off limits” — carrots, peas, brown rice and toward the end, apples.
One of the aspects I like most about LB’s Dimes to Diamonds training program is that it includes a meal plan. And I say meal plan and not diet plan because the idea is that you can use it for the rest of your life. The best part – the meal plan includes apples.
Here are the top 5 reasons I love apples:
1. They pack well. It can be hard to choose healthy options when you are busy or traveling, but apples are hearty, they last forever (slight exaggeration) and they are easy to eat on the go.
2. They go great with two of my other favorite foods – cheese and peanut butter (but not at the same time). Just like that you’ve added some healthy protein and fat to your complex carbs.
3. They are filled with fiber. Fiber keeps you full. I’m always starving around 2 pm, so to hold me over until dinner, I’ll grab an apple.
4. They boost your immune system. Most people know apples are packed with vitamin-C, but they also contain quercetin, which has been shown to boost your immune system (especially if you’re stressed out).
5. They are cheap. I love berries, but unless they are BOGO at Publix, it’ll often cost you $4-6 bucks for a cup of raspberries. And more often than not, half of them are mushy and you have to toss them. Apples, on the other hand, are around $2.00 a pound (about 3 apples).
So reach for an apple a day. It’ll keep the doctor away. Plus they taste great and they’re easy on the wallet. #winwin