You learn something new every day if you pay attention. Ray LeBlond is credited saying this and to be honest, after a 3 minute google search, I couldn’t find anything on him other than the quote attribution. But just because he remains a mystery, doesn’t make the quote any less true.
This week, my first week on my fitness model journey, I definitely learned something new every day. Here are 7 things I learned from NPC Bikini prep so far:
- I get tired of chewing before I’m full. I felt like I ate a pretty decent amount of vegetables before starting this new lifestyle plan but I was wrong. There are So. Many. Vegetables. And they take forever to eat. I always thought an hour lunch break was to account for drive time, but now I’m eating at the office and it’s everything I can do to finish in an hour.
- Cutting salt is harder than cutting sugar. As it turns out, cutting sugar is relatively easy. I just don’t eat desserts, processed foods or fruit (for non-fitness friends and family reading this, don’t freak out, I won’t die of scurvy; I can add in fruits again after a few weeks). But food is really boring without salt. I wind up putting hot sauce on basically everything to make it edible.
- Progress photos are the key to success. I’m not sharing photos (yet) because I think I look horribly out of shape, but I take them because after 12 weeks I’ll do a side by side and share them. Anyway, if I had started taking bikini selfies 5 years ago I would probably not be as flabtastic as I am now because looking at them will kick your @$$ in gear.
- There will be recipe fails… My meal plan this past week called for egg whites each morning. Between getting up, getting to the gym for an a.m. workout, walking the dog, and sitting on early morning conference calls, I didn’t have time to make eggs every morning. So I found this recipe on Pinterest where you bake them in muffin tins in advance. But, because I have to leave out salt and cheese they tasted horrible (hello hot sauce). I’ve got to figure out an acceptable spice combo that will work because it definitely made mornings fast – just not delicious.
- and recipe wins! I made an awesome tuna salad for lunch over the weekend and some great tacos for dinner one night that tasted better than the ones I make with regular ground beef and seasoning packets.
- Cardio kills. Growing up, I was a swimmer. Then I became a runner and after college I started competing in triathlons. For me, it was all about the cardio always. However, when you’re trying to build, cardio is the enemy (apparently) because it’ll “eat away” at your muscles. So, now I have to limit it to 20 minutes of HIIT-type activities a few times a week. Maybe I’ll become the sprinter I always longed to be.
- I am mentally tougher than I thought. By no means was this week easy and in fact, I know it’s only gonna get tougher as the weeks go on, but I powered through it – every a.m. workout, every meal this week. And I’m really proud of myself for it. Thomas ate cheesecake last night and I didn’t even try a bite. #Dedication
So that’s it! The seven things I’ve learned so far during this NPC Bikini prep. More life lessons to come soon, I’m sure. So stay tuned!